Doily — Progress?

I’ve picked up my long-abandoned doily… and it’s not going smoothly!

The outer flower motifs are the same as the center ones.  But I have a bit of a spatial perception problem, and working the motifs upside down and backwards so I can attach them to the outside row of the doily is very frustrating.  I’ve either cut out or opened and retatted 6 rings in these three motifs due to my attaching them to the wrong picots.

I think I finally have a feel for how they are supposed to go together, though.  Hope it goes smoothly from here on out!

Tatted Bouquet

A tatted bouquet

I liked the little tatted flower in my previous post well enough to make an expanded version — with more clover “leaves” and flowers.

The red and blue flowers are from Lyn Morton’s Tatting Patterns.  I didn’t use the part that surrounds the flowers because I really don’t like making the chain flowers and having to mess with those tiny joining picots.  Also, I have a hard time forming the chains properly, and they don’t want to lie flat.

I enjoy making rings for petals a lot more.

In fact, I did the little yellow flower while I was riding my exercise bicycle this evening.  It kept me from getting bored, which usually happens when I ride the bike.

It also tends to make it hard to form even picots!  🙂

Denim Tatted Tote Bag

Denim tote bag decorated with tatting

Here’s another tote bag I finished for Christmas.  The tatted edging at the top is from a 1915 pattern that was reprinted in one of the Dover pattern books.

I am still having major problems tensioning my rings and chains evenly, and the work is not very good when viewed separately.  But it is the best I can do at this stage, and I do think the tote bag turned out cute.

I am now working on a canvas tote with brown and variegated spice colored thread.  I did one motif last night, and it turned out too uneven to use.  So I will start again tonight.

If tatting was easy, everyone would do it, so I keep telling myself to be patient with my mistakes.  🙂

%d bloggers like this: