Mini Disaster & Organizing

The result of mixing paint brands

The Casita stove cleaning project misadventures — continued:

I couldn’t find my can of black Rustoleum paint.  But I found a store brand of black paint that read Paint…Stops Rust.

So I sprayed a layer over the other paint on the area underneath the stove, and it looked good.  For about a minute.  Then I noticed an area that was buckled up.  Uh oh, I bet I didn’t clean all the Deoxit off before I started painting. 

Then I noticed another spot buckling.  And another.  I then realized that the off brand paint was actually removing the paint below it.  So I scraped all the paint down to bare metal and started again.

Repainted

After I had the stove well repainted, I glanced up at the ceiling… then stared in horror.  I had the window open and the fan on for ventilation.  The fan had sucked in black paint overspray and had deposited it on the carpet in front — and mostly behind — the A/C/fan unit.

I touched the fiberglass cabinet where there was more overspray, and it felt like tar.

Black paint overspray on overhead carpet

That will NEVER come out of the carpet, I groaned.

But it did.  With Scotchgard Carpet & Fabric cleaner (aerosol foam) for autos.  The worst areas required 3 applications, but now I can’t tell where the damage was.

So I learned some lessons:

1.  Use brand name paint, and don’t mix brands.

After using Scotchgard Carpet & Fabric Cleaner aerosol foam for autos. That’s great stuff!

2. My air conditioner filter has apparently been washed too many times and needs to be replaced.

3. Some disasters are fixable.

4.  The next time I wonder if the well under my stove needs cleaning, DON’T LOOK!  That’s what got me in this mess in the first place!

Awning hardware and broom bungeed to vent pipe

So… after that reprieve from disaster,  I cleaned and weeded out the extra stuff we had accumulated during our last trip.  It’s amazing how quickly stuff can multiply!

I also figured out a way to keep the awning crank rod and support bar from banging around in the closet.  I stood them up straight between the left front of the closet and the gray water tank vent pipe and bungeed them to the pipe.

I also was always losing my short little broom on the closet floor, so I hung it by a bungee from the lateral pipe in the closet.  Now they will stay put when we travel.

Closet organized

Tomorrow I’ll neaten the pots and pans and grocery and tool storage areas.  Then mop the floor, replace the rugs, and we’ll be good to go!

Dishes organized. We’ll add a pack each of disposable plates and cups.

Cupboard above refrigerator organized

Demolition Update

We got the water heater out of the camper today.  It was a big job because I had sealed it really well with butyl tape the last time I installed it.

I wrote Joanne at Our Aliner Restoration for advice on my project since she and her husband have been through a floor replacement and complete rebuild of their 1998 Aliner.  She suggested that I take out all the old wiring and have it redone from scratch later.

So I did.  Actually, I’m glad to have all that stuff out of the way while I’m working in there.  Especially the old Elixir converter.  I also removed all the plumbing.

Was too tired to do any more this evening.  I’ll plan on removing the gas lines and the wiring underneath the trailer tomorrow, then start digging out the staples that hold the aluminum siding to the bottom of the trailer.  That project will probably take a few days.

I keep having to fight off thoughts of simply towing it to the junkyard!

One good thing about working on the trailer… I don’t have to cook tonight.  Ron is on his way to pick up KFC.  🙂

 

A Needle Tatted Fan Motif

tatted fan

Pattern designed by Heather Johnston

Just a quick post to show off last night’s project — a fan motif.

I had to start over three times because I kept getting my work turned around and joining to the wrong ring.  And I had to rip out a stretch because I refused to start over a fourth time.

But I finally got it done!  I am thrilled that even beginner projects can turn out pretty!

The pattern is by Heather Johnston.  You can see it here.

%d bloggers like this: