Two Successes; One Bust

The kitchen with the new spice rack and with paper towel holder reinstalled

The kitchen with the new spice rack and with paper towel holder reinstalled

The magnetic curtain rod is a bust.  The upholstery fabric is apparently too heavy, even with the additional magnets glued to the door.

So tomorrow I’ll remove the magnets, touch up the paint, and install a conventional curtain rod using rivets.

The new spice rack.  Note the mini air horn on the top shelf.  It's there in case we catch a bear trying to break into our truck.  :D

The new spice rack. Note the mini air horn on the top shelf. It’s there in case we catch a bear trying to break into our truck. 😀

I fared a little better installing the spice rack.  I did have trouble drilling out one of the old rivets, and ended up drilling one hole larger than I should have.  And neither Ron nor I have the hand strength to properly pop the 5 mm rivets.  Finally, though, we did manage to get them in  — only to discover that Casita had originally drilled the holes a little off level.  Funny, we never noticed the old rack being off a little.  I am training myself not to notice that this one is a little crooked!

The new rack had spaces for 4 rivets instead of two.  Since the rack wasn’t real stable with just two, I drilled smaller holes and used the 3 mm rivets that I could manage in the bottom indentations.

The paper towel holder, properly bolted on, at last!

The paper towel holder, properly bolted on, at last!

Next was reinstalling the paper towel holder.  I originally had installed it with adhesive foam tape — that fell off on the first trip.  The next time I installed it with 3M VHB tape.  That lasted several months, but it finally fell off, too.

So this time I did it properly.  I drilled small holes in the stove hood and used small bolts with stainless steel washers on both sides.  I put a dollop of silicone on the back of the bolt so the nuts are actually “glued” on.  I bet it will stay up now!

 

%d bloggers like this: