Trying Shuttle Tatting

First shuttle tatting attempt

I have been needle tatting to date because I had so much trouble learning the shuttle.  But some of my needle tatted pieces are limp and floppy.  I knew that the work is much tighter and crisper with shuttle tatting, so I am giving it a go again.

The practice piece on the left has a LOT of mistakes, uneven picots, a picot joined in the wrong place — BUT I am finally getting my stitches close enough together that the core thread doesn’t show through.  I consider that GREAT progress!

It took longer for me to recover from the virus than expected.  And we have had non-stop rain for two days.  I couldn’t bear the idea of setting up in a muddy campground with a runny nose while sneezing, so we still haven’t left Georgia.

The sun is starting to come out now, I really do feel better today, so we are planning to leave tomorrow…. at last!

A Needle Tatted Fan Motif

tatted fan

Pattern designed by Heather Johnston

Just a quick post to show off last night’s project — a fan motif.

I had to start over three times because I kept getting my work turned around and joining to the wrong ring.  And I had to rip out a stretch because I refused to start over a fourth time.

But I finally got it done!  I am thrilled that even beginner projects can turn out pretty!

The pattern is by Heather Johnston.  You can see it here.

Little Girl’s Purse

Little girl's purse with beginner tatting trim

I finally finished the little purse tonight.

I had a hard time finding appropriate beginner edging patterns.  Finally I found a pattern on one of the needle tatting forums.  Then I saw this really cool picture on Flickr of bunny ears edging.  So I managed to adapt it to work on my project.

I looked and looked for a cat pattern for the back pocket that would work up small enough on beginner size 10 thread and size 5 (* see note at end) needles, but couldn’t find one I liked.  So I made one up that looks a lot like the cats I used to draw in first grade.

Hopefully the recipient won’t be too critical.

I did sew everything down very firmly so whoever gets it will have to work hard at tearing the flowers off!

That’s it for the crafts for a few days.  I need a break!

Will start repairing the weather stripping on the Aliner next week.  Some of it has come loose.

*Edited to add:  I thought I was using size 5 needles.  I was actually using size 3 which is for light sports yarn.  No wonder the stitches were so loose!

%d bloggers like this: