Started the Fan Project

Tied into the dinette light wiring

Tied into the dinette light wiring

Traumatic!  That was today.

First, I tried to run the wires under the ceiling carpet with a coat hanger.  But the foam under the carpet caught where I connected the coat hanger loop, forming an impenetrable glob.   So I ended up having to cut through the carpet, pull it out a bit, and push the wires back under.  When I’m through, I’ll go back and contact cement the foam to the fiberglass and to the seam, and I am hoping it will be invisible.

I had never cut wires, connected wires, or used a connection crimper before, so I had to learn to use the tools as I went along.

First of all, the trailer wires were too short to connect with the new wires.  So I had to splice in an additional length onto the main white and black wires.

Cutting the hole in the carpet was nerve-wracking!

Cutting the hole in the carpet was nerve-wracking!

I’ve seen guys tighten a wire stripper around a wire, give a little yank, and it was done.  Not me.  I tightened the wire stripper, then tugged and tugged with all the brute force I could muster, busting a knuckle against the top of the cabinet in the process.  No dice.  So then I tightened the crimper on the wire, then turned the wire a quarter turn and cut from that side, too.  Finally I got one wire stripped.  Then I repeated 7 more times.  Next I connected the two bunches of 4 wires each.    When I finished the second bundle, I noticed that there were only 3 wires in the first bundle.  One wire had worked free.

Apparently I hadn’t stripped the wire far enough, so I had to disconnect that connector, and restrip the wires.  In the process I accidentally cut off one of the little copper strands on one wire, and two on another.  I remember an electrician telling me that was bad news and could make the wire overheat.  So with almost no wire left on the dinette light, I had to cut it even shorter and strip it again.  Finally I got them bundled back together.  This time I checked to make sure all the wires were secured.

Testing the fan to make sure it works.

Testing the fan to make sure it works.

Just to make sure the fan wasn’t defective — or that I hadn’t wired it improperly, I reconnected the battery, taped my black wire to the black wire on the fan, then touched the white wires together.  IT WORKED!!!!  Beautifully!

I decided to cut the hole in the roof from the inside to minimize the time I have to spend up on the trailer’s roof.  But first I had to cut the carpet away so I could see what I was doing.   I Just knew that I was ruining my little Casita.  But eventually I managed to get the area cleared of carpet and it doesn’t look so scary now.

I probably would have time to finish the installation today, but I’m going to wait until I get a good night’s sleep and my blood pressure goes down a bit!  🙂

 

%d bloggers like this: