Window Fix & Book Storage

The window latch bar reinstalled

The window latch bar reinstalled

In yesterday’s post I described how my very hard to open bathroom window came apart when I gave it a big tug to open it.  And I described how I fixed it.

To my great relief, it worked!

And after lubricating the window track with spray silicone lubricant, the window glides up and down easily and smoothly!

I got the metal bar a little off center, but it's sturdy and it works.  So I'm happy with it.

I got the metal bar a little off center, but it’s sturdy and it works. So I’m happy with it.

I didn’t want to just spray the silicone lubricant and get it everywhere.  So I sprayed some of it into the can’s plastic lid, then used a Q-tip to apply it generously to both the upper and lower window track.

Since it worked so well, I lubricated all the upper and lower window tracks in the trailer.  Now all the windows slide as smoothly as the bathroom one!

The other project that I considered essential before leaving was building  secure book storage.  And the only place in the trailer to put it was underneath our clothes storage baskets.

(Originally we had beautiful decorator baskets, but their metal edges scraped the fiberglass, so we switched to four plain fabric baskets until I can find something pretty that works.)

A view of the curb side window track

A view of the bottom curb side window track that was treated with silicone lubricant using Q-tips

I found a plastic drawer unit in my craft room and decided that would make a decent temporary base for book storage.  Then I found a very ratty piece of inferior plywood scrap in the shed, and decided to build a prototype using it as a cover for the book drawer and a base for our clothes baskets.

The ugly prototype book storage solution -- but hey, it works!

The ugly prototype book storage solution — but hey, it works!

I rounded the corners of the plywood, put D ring weatherstripping around the edges to keep it from scratching the fiberglass if it shifted, and put a piece of white duct tape over an ugly void in the top layer of plywood because I was afraid it would weaken it.  Then I built a frame of 1×3 wood on the bottom to fit down into the drawer.  That will keep the board anchored inside the drawer when we go over bumps and will also help support the weight of the clothes.  Finally I placed a piece of non-skid shelf liner under the drawer to help keep it in place.

So my prototype is very rough and ugly, but if it works as well as I think it will, I’ll buy decent materials and redo it.  And I need to devise a nicer-looking way to pad the edges.

So it will be Thursday before we leave for Doll Mountain, but my beloved books have a place now.  So it’s worth the delay!

%d bloggers like this: